The Early Days - The First Two Courses (1897-1899)
In the fall of 1897, a group of Los Angelenos organized a voluntary association to further the cause of one of Southern California’s newest sports. The Los Angeles Golf Club, as they called themselves, leased a sixteen-acre vacant lot at the corner of Pico and Alvarado Streets and laid out a nine-hole course. Called “The Windmill Links”, the course was named for a makeshift Clubhouse - the bottom of an abandoned windmill. Through the middle of 1898, this site served as the Club’s home until the course became too crowded. The Club located its next site at what was called Pico Heights at Hobart and 16th Streets. The new home was named The “Convent Links” for its location behind a Convent near Rosedale Cemetery. Again, nine holes were laid out for play, but by the spring of 1899, this course and Clubhouse had also become overcrowded.